Wurlitzer Style 150 Military Band Organ

Back to Gallery

c. 1928

Manufactured by Rudolph Wurlitzer Co. of North Tonawanda, NY.

Contains brass trumpets, several ranks of pipes, and traps.

This organ was voiced very loud and was intended for use on amusement park midways to play over the noise of the crowd. According to Wurlitzer’s advertising, “The cost of five musicians for evening sessions only will pay for this organ in a few weeks.”

Wurlitzer Style LX

Back to Gallery

c. 1921

Manufactured by Rudolph Wurlitzer Co. of North Tonawanda, NY.

Contains a piano with mandolin feature, 38 violin and 38 flute pipes.

This was the last of the Wurlitzer keyboard orchestrion series. The “wonder light” at the top revolves as the machine plays.

Wurlitzer Style CX with Roll Changer

Back to Gallery

c. 1917

Manufactured by Rudolph Wurlitzer Co. of North Tonawanda, NY.

The automatic roll changer was a hugely popular feature for Wurlitzer. It plays six five-tune rolls instead of one ten-tune roll. This model has a popular CX style case.

Wurlitzer Style 125 Band Organ

Back to Gallery

c. 1929

Manufactured by Rudolph Wurlitzer Co. of Tonawanda, NY.

The visible instruments included 13 brass trumpets, 11 brass piccolos, 13 wooden flageolets, 2 drums, and cymbal.

Wurlitzer advertised this organ as “especially designed for small to medium rinks”.  It was the workhorse of the Wurlitzer organs, found in many amusements parks.

Wurlitzer Mandolin PianOrchestra model 12

Back to Gallery

c. 1915

Manufactured by Rudolph Wurlitzer Co. in North Tonawanda, NY.

Contains 37 violin and violincello pipes, piano, mandolin, bass and snare drum, and cymbal.

Wurlitzer produced the cases; the interior mechanisms were manufactured by Phillips of Germany. The model features a carved peacock with a “wonder light” tail. A total of 61 of this model were produced.

Welte Style 2 Cottage

Back to Gallery

c. 1893

Manufactured by M. Welte & Sons of Freiburg, Germany.

Contains 152 pipes, snare and base drums, triangle, and cymbal.

This model is considered to be an outstanding example of orchestrion building. Its “starburst” pipework is voiced exceptionally well and plays classical as well as modern songs of the era.

Weber Otero

Back to Gallery

c. 1927

Manufactured by Gebruder Weber of Waldkirch, Germany.

Contains a Feurich piano, ranks of pipes, mandolin, and full traps.

The large Webers of the late 1920’s represent the zenith of sophisticated orchestrion building and music arranging. This model features side cabinets for roll storage, brass trim, and elaborate beveled mirrors.