The estate was owned by the Silesian family of Vrbno. They lived here to the middle of the 19th century. The last owner, Dominik, sold the whole domain in 1852 to the Hessian Elector Friedrich Wilhelm, Prince of Hanau. The descendants of Friedrich Wilhelm and Gertrude owned the chateau and the domain until 1945, when the whole property was confiscated by the state based on the order of president Benes. Immediately after World War II the castle was used as a hospital and two different troops or the Russian Red army spent some time here. During this time great part of the castles inventory was damaged or taken as spoils of war. In the years 1956-1974 part of the castle was used as the Secondary Technical School of Mechanical Engineering. In 1974 the building was closed and completely renovated. The property had been opened for the public in stages since 1985. In 2000, the chateau was declared to be a national cultural monument, and at the present time, it is under the administration of NHI (National Heritage Institute).