Succeeding Years

1955 MBSI purchases a Mimeograph machine for printing “The Bulletin”.
1956 Six Bulletins printed since the last meeting.
1957 Annual business meeting with 64 attendees is held in a Rahway, NJ auditorium.
1958 Nearly 100 attend the Annual Meeting; A Board of Governors appointed by the president is established.
1959 Tenth Anniversary Special Bulletin, “Creation and Story of the Musical Box Society International” is given to members; the name “Board of Governors” is changed to “Advisory Board.”
1960 First Advisory Board is elected.
1961 Bylaws amendments proposed to establish geographical rotation of Annual Meetings.
1962 32 Southern California members meet to establish the first chapter.
1963 Dues raised from $3 to $5 with a $3 initiation fee. Foreign memberships remains at $3
1964 First Annual Meeting held in a hotel, Long Beach, CA; first table favor given.
1965 East coast members meet to discuss formation of an East Coast Chapter; officers are authorized to incorporate MBSI as a nonprofit, educational organization.
1966 December Bulletin is professionally printed and assembled for the first time; Publications Committee formed; Mid-America Chapter formed; first membership incentive program initiated.
1967 Membership over 500; Society incorporates under a charter from the New York State Education Department.
1968 New membership brochure created; tax exempt status achieved.
1969 Smithsonian Institution named as recipient of MBSI property if the Society is dissolved.
1970 Golden Gate Chapter formed.
1971 Membership over 1000
1973 Membership over 1500; first table favor with a musical movement given at the Annual Meeting banquet.
1974 Silver anniversary Annual Meeting with 455 attendees; new “Technical Bulletin” is established; President’s Badge is given by the Musical Box Society of Great Britain; Reuge, S.A. creates Silver Anniversary 144 note Sublime Harmony musical movement
1975 First Annual Meeting with an auction; first exhibit of music boxes at Lockwood Matthews Mansion Museum with instruments loaned from MBSI members; Northwest International Chapter receives charter; Trustees Award and Q. David Bowers Literary Award are established with initial funding from Q. David Bowers. MBSI trademark #1021775 is registered.
1976 First Mid-Am Band Organ Rally; National Capital Chapter is chartered;
1977 Opening of MBSI Sounds of Music exhibit at Western Reserve Historical Society
1978 Southeast Chapter receives charter; MBSI membership over 2000; Directory of Members and Museums has first computerized records.
1979 Membership over 2500
1980 Over 500 attend the Annual Meeting; 30 instruments donated to the MBSI, several of which are added to the Lockwood Matthews display; KT Special replica unveiled; Chapuis book translated and made available to members.
1981 Instruments owned by the East Coast Chapter are transferred to MBSI; first Band Organ festival at the Annual Meeting.
1982 Sunbelt and Snowbelt Chapters are chartered
1985 Over 600 attend the Annual Meeting with the first Mart open to the public;“Technical Bulletin” is renamed “Technical Journal” and size changed to 8-1/2 x 11.
1986 A Membership is defined as a Household Membership allowing votes of two members per household.
1987 The book, “Musical Boxes and Other Musical Marvels” is published by MBSI; Audio-visual Committee is established; first joint meeting (with AMICA) is held; “The Ampico Reproducing Piano” is published and offered for sale; President’s award established.
1988 MBSI is given original Regina Music Box Co. factory shipping record books;“Technical Journal” is renamed “Mechanical Music”.
1989 First New Member Reception at an Annual Meeting; MBSI is bequeathed a fine instrument collection for its museum program.
1990 Piedmont Chapter chartered; Music In Time exhibit opens at the National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors with an exhibit catalog printed; first professional video produced and distributed by the Audiovisual Committee
1991 Endowment Fund is established.
1992 Ellinberger collection bequeathed to MBSI; first outside administrator hired.
1993 First budget is established; second MBSI-AMICA joint meeting held
1995 Darlene Mirijanian Creativity Award is established; MBSI exhibit opens at the Charlotte Museum of History;
1996 Publications Fund is established; first web site is established; largest Annual Meeting with 769 registered; Weber “Maesto” and “Banj-Orchestra” reproductions are introduced
1997 The West Coast Chapter is renamed Southern California Chapter; 1000 copies of the book, “Cylinder Music Box Technology” are given to MBSI for sale with proceeds going to the Publications Fund
1998 Japanese International Chapter is chartered; new MBSI Traveling Display is unveiled
1999 Fiftieth Annual Meeting held in Philadelphia, PA; Endowment Fund now more than $100,000; the “Golden Anniversary” book is produced.
2001 Trustees approve production of a professionally made video about mechanical music; MBSI museum exhibit opens at the Rutgers-Camden Center for the Arts. First Roehl Ambassador Awards presented.
2003 MBSI sponsored museum display opens in Marietta, OH.
2004 55th Annual Meeting Orlando Florida
2005 Lake Michigan Chapter Chartered
2005 56th Annual Meeting a Joint Meeting with MBSGB – First Annual meeting outside US
2006 The Journal and News Bulletin are combined into one publication, Mechanical Music with the first issue Volume 52, No. 1, January-February 2006
2006 Morris Museum breaks ground for future exhibit space for the Murtogh Guinness Collection
2006 57th Annual Meeting – Seattle Washington
2007 58th Annual Meeting – St Paul Mn – Featured visit to the Crawford Collection – the only collection still intact that belonged to a founding member of the Society
2007 Gala Opening of the Murtogh Guinness Collection at the Morris Museum
2008 59th Annual Meeting – Las Vegas NV – with auction with consignments from across the U.S.